The lifetime of an EM is directly related to the current that flows through it and the extent of contamination or condensation that it experiences. To maximize electron multiplier life:
- Maintain the best possible vacuum, especially in the analyzer manifold.
- Use extreme caution and be conservative with venting, pumpdown, and all vacuum system procedures to keep pump fluid background to a minimum.
- After venting, allow four hours for pump-down and thermal equilibration before scanning.
- Actively look for background contamination and leaks and repair them immediately.
- Don t tune excessively. PFTBA can result in higher background over an extended period of time.